Departments participating in the Records Management program are asked to follow the following procedures.
Review the records currently maintained by the office and:
- determine what types of records are being kept, by whom, and why.
- confirm which records are "official" and which are "departmental use copies".
- consult the State Retention Schedules for the minimum retention (how long the records must be kept).
- request permission to dispose of non-permanent records whose retention period has expired by completing the request form (RC-108) and submitting it to Betsy Pittman (Unit 1205 or as an attachment to Betsy.Pittman@uconn.edu) for review and approval. The request must be approved by the Public Records Administration of the Connecticut State Library. Departments should plan on the approval process to take approximately one month (may be longer at the end of the calendar/fiscal year).
- The signed, approved request is the department's permission to destroy the records identified. The completed and signed request form (authorization) is a permanent record and must be maintained by the department permanently.
Contact the Records Management Liaison (RML), Betsy Pittman (860.486.4507), with any questions or concerns.
This page is maintained by B. Pittman