TABLE OF CONTENTS
Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center
405 Babbidge Road, Unit 1205
Storrs, Connecticut 06269-1205
Building for the Meriden & Cromwell Railroad began in 1883, when a dormant charter, granted in 1871, was revived by manufacturers in the town of Meriden, Connecticut. When the line was completed in 1885 it ran from Center Street in Meriden, Connecticut, to a point in Cromwell, Connecticut, on the Connecticut River. It was soon proposed to extend the line to Waterbury, Connecticut, and in 1887, with subscriptions of stock from the citizens of Waterbury, building commenced. It was completed in July 1888 and the name of the railroad line changed to the Meriden, Waterbury & Connecticut River Railroad. By 1889 the line owned five locomotives, seven passenger cars and 154 freight cars.
In October 1892 the MW&CR became part of the New York & New England Railroad system, and then the New England Railroad system in 1895. In 1896 the New England Railroad suspended service on the line and it was abandoned. Service was sporatically resurrected once the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad (better known as the New Haven Railroad) took over the entire New England Railroad system, and there was a brief attempt on reverting the line to trolley service in the 1910s, but by 1938 only two short remnants of the original MW&CR remained at Waterbury and Meriden, and these were abandoned in 1976 when Conrail took over the line.
The album, compiled by Mr. James M.S. Ullman of Meriden, Connecticut, consists of 185 photographs almost exclusively depicting the locomotives, stations and other scenes of the Meriden & Cromwell Railroad and the Meriden, Waterbury, and Connecticut River Railroad. Most of the photographs have brief descriptions; most are dated. Of special interest are photographs of wrecks on August 10, 1888, and July 19, 1889, at Red Bridge, in Meriden, Connecticut, and a trolley wreck on October 10, 1913, on the Berlin Branch. Also of interest are photographs from the 1920s and 1930s of men on motorcycles who used the Meriden station as a base for their motorcycle club, and of Highland House (town unknown), a historic house that was located near the railroad line and burned down on November 24, 1914.
Restrictions on Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish these Photographs must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
Archives & Special Collections has a substantial collection of materials pertaining to the railroads of southern New England. For detailed information on these collections please contact the curator or ask at the reference desk.
This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
Meriden & Cromwell Railroad
Meriden, Waterbury, & Connecticut River Railroad
New England Railroad
New York & New England Railroad
New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad
Railroads -- Connecticut.
[Item description, #:#], Meriden and Cromwell Railroad/Meriden, Waterbury and Connecticut River Railroad Photograph Album. Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries.
This album was purchased from a dealer in 2007.