TABLE OF CONTENTS
Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center
405 Babbidge Road, Unit 1205
Storrs, Connecticut 06269-1205
American Standard was created from the 1929 merger of the American Radiator Company and the Standard Sanitary Manufacturing Company. The Company was then known as American Radiator & Standard Sanitary Corporation. It changed its name to American Standard in 1967 to reflect the Company's familiar plumbing products brand name. American Standard is the world's largest producer of bathroom and kitchen fixtures and fittings and one of the world's largest producers of air conditioning and heating systems. It is also the leading producer of braking systems and electronic controls for heavy-duty buses and trucks in Europe.
Three of the Company's business segments trace their origins to four major, pioneering companies of the late 19th and early 20th centuries: American Radiator Company, Standard Sanitary Manufacturing Company, the Westinghouse Air Brake Company and the Trane Company.
Standard Sanitary was formed in 1899 in a merger of several companies manufacturing enameled-cast iron sanitaryware. Standard Sanitary pioneered many of the plumbing product improvements introduced in the early part of this century including the once piece toilet, built-in tubs, combination faucets and tarnish-proof, corrosion-proof chrome finishes for brass fittings.
Tracing its origins to 1881, American Radiator Company manufactured radiator and other heating equipment The “Ideal” brand name used on many American Standard products outside of the United States came from an 1897 American Radiator acquisition, Ideal Boiler Company. American Radiator was an international pioneer establishing European manufacturing operations by 1910. None of American Radiator's product lines are now manufactured.
WABCO, formed in Pittsburgh in 1869, was the first of 72 companies founded by American inventor, George Westinghouse. The company's initial product was the railway air brake. WABCO built plants throughout Europe before world War I, and the company manufactured its first pneumatic brakes from commercial vehicles in 1921.
In 1913, James Trane and his son, Reuben, incorporated The Trane Company to produce a new type of low-pressure steam heating. The company became a pioneer in an entirely new field—air conditioning—with the development of the Trane Unit Cooler in 1931. American Standard and its 35 joint ventures operate 106 manufacturing facilities in 35 countries, employing 44,000. 1996 sales from the company's three business segments totaled $5.8 billion.
This collection documents the plant in Wauregan, Connecticut, which was built in 1957.
(Historical information on American Standard was located on the Company's webpage in January 1998.)
The collection consists of a small series of plant, product and equipment photographs and a limited number of newspaper clippings and random newsletters. There is also one oversize poster and three video tapes. The latter have been catalogued separately and are located in the Dodd Video Collection.
Restrictions on Access
There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Restrictions on Use
Permission to publish from these Papers must be obtained in writing from both the University of Connecticut Libraries and the owner(s) of the copyright.
Archives & Special Collections has a substantial collection of materials pertaining to Connecticut business records. For detailed information on these collections please contact the curator or ask at the reference desk.
The following materials have been separated from the collection and cataloged:
Plaza Suite 1989-0084.vr1
This record series is indexed under the following controlled access subject terms.
Manufacturer of bathroom fixtures.
[Item description, #:#], American Standard, Inc., Waregan, Connecticut Plant Records. Archives & Special Collections at the Thomas J. Dodd Research Center, University of Connecticut Libraries.
The records were transferred to Archives & Special Collections by the Museum of Connecticut History. Artifacts from the plant were retained by the Museum.