Nursing History Collection
Contact the CuratorBetsy Pittman
Archives & Special Collections
Thomas J. Dodd Research Center
University of Connecticut Libraries
405 Babbidge Road Unit 1205
Storrs, CT 06269-1205
For more information about the collection, please see the Archives of Nursing Leadership Brochure. Nursing History Collection
Chinn (Peggy L.) Papers Finding Aid
Professional papers of Peggy Chinn, emerita Professor of Nursing at the University of Connecticut.
Connecticut League for Nursing Records Finding Aid
Administrative records of the Connecticut League for Nursing whose mission is to: Foster partnerships between academic and clinical nursing leaders; Facilitate access to formal nursing education programs in the State of Connecticut; Provide affordable, accessible, and contemporary continuing education programs and forums; and Support the National League for Nursing's initiatives related to Nurse Faculty Development, Nursing Research and Nursing Workforce Demographics (from CLN mission statement).
Connecticut Nurses Association Records Finding Aid
The Connecticut Nurses Association is the primary professional organization for nurses in Connecticut.
Connecticut Training School for Nurses, Alumnae Association Records Finding Aid
The Connecticut Training School (CTS) for Nurses opened in 1873 and closed in 1926. The Connecticut Training School for Nurses Alumnae Association was formed in January 1891 and was dissolved in 1964. The records document the activities of the school's graduates and include minutes of the association's meetings (1891-1964), annual reports, and financial records.
Dolan (Josephine A.) Nursing History Collection Finding Aid
Josephine Dolan was a nationally recognized nurse educator who served as the first professor of nursing at the University of Connecticut. The collection contains historical research materials including a significant collection on American Civil War Nursing.
Eastern Nursing Research Society Records Finding Aid
The Eastern Nursing Research Society (ENRS) is comprised of RNs and others interested in nursing research. It was established in 1988 as the research arm of the Mid-Atlantic Regional Nursing Association (MARNA) and the New England Organization for Nursing (NEON). The purpose of the ENRS is to create a community for nurses interested in research in the Eastern region of the United States. The ENRS region includes Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington, D.C. The collection contains agendas, minutes, correspondence, membership materials and other administrative records of the organization. It appears that these materials were maintained by several individuals in several discrete files. This arrangement has been retained and so the dates in the administrative series overlap to some extent. The organization also has an annual conference with published proceedings, which are also included in the collection. The proceedings are arranged chronologically.
Meriden-Wallingford Hospital School of Nursing Records Finding Aid
The Meriden-Wallingford School of Nursing traces its history to the establishment of the Meriden Hospital Nursing program in 1892. The program flourished from the 1890s until 1973 when it was phased out, following the national trend to move nursing programs from the hospital environment to a collegiate environment. The last class graduated in 1976.
North East Organization for Nursing (NEON) Records Finding Aid
Official records of the major New England regional nursing association.
School of Nursing Records (UConn) Finding Aid
Records of the University of Connecticut School of Nursing, established in 1942 and accredited since 1943. The collection contains faculty meeting minutes, project documentation, photographs, multimedia and ephemeral materials.
Wilcox (Ona M.) College of Nursing Records Finding Aid
The Middlesex Memorial Hospital was founded in 1904 and given authority to operate a school of nursing in 1908. The first class of three students graduated February 20, 1910. The school was approved by the State Board of Examiners in 1918, and first granted accreditation by the National League for Nursing in 1946. In 1970, in honor of a graduate and 45 year employee, the school changed its name to Ona M. Wilcox School of Nursing, and again when it was granted accreditation by the state as a college, to Wilcox College of Nursing. In 1997 after years of debate, the college closed due to insufficient funding and lack of support.